Step-By-Step Directions for Pan-Seared Steak
Precise temperature and timing on your stovetop make it easy to get the exact result you want when pan-searing steaks– without the guesswork.
For down-to-the-degree temperature and timing, check out the Hestan Cue Pan-Seared Steak Guide and adjust your cooking settings based on the thickness of your steak and your preferred level of doneness.
Then, simply follow the step-by-step instructions below to achieve the ultimate steak in minutes.
- New York strip, Ribeye, Flat Iron or Filet Mignon steaks
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Directions for Pan-Seared Steak
- Place your Cue skillet or pan on your burner and set your temperature to 425°F (218°C) in the Hestan Cue app.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to your pan.
- While your pan is heating up, measure your steak and refer to the Hestan Cue Pan-Seared Steak guide to determine the appropriate time per side. For example, if your New York Strip is 1 inch thick, and you want it to be medium rare, you will cook each side for 1min and 15s after a 2min sear on each side at 425°F (218°C).
- Using a paper towel dry your steak thoroughly, then season as needed with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Once your pan is preheated, place your steak on the first edge and set your timer for the sear time.
- Flip your steak and continue to sear for the same amount of time on the appropriate edges based on your cut of steak.
- Reduce the temperature to 375°F (190°C), and set your timer accordingly for the cook step.
- Flip your steak, and set your timer for the last cook time. If desired you can add aromatics at this time and baste your steak.
- When your steak is finished, remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.